Author Hannah Downing Review And Interview

Author Hannah Downing Review And Interview
At the moment I cargo space the joyfulness of interviewing my small-pub-sister Hannah Downing, Australian author of "Pieces of Us". I loved her original as you can tell from my review:

Unkind Yet Well-formed Gently Triangle


Charlotte Barnes has the perfect marriage. Her husband dotes on her, and she delights in the home-produced enjoyment they've produced. There's only one problem. She discovers her love husband Cameron has been deception on her.

Perfect and bereft, Charlotte hightails it out of town without yielding him the split to explain. She droopily rebuilds her life, meeting a legalize officer named Owen. The same as Charlotte and Owen begin to fall in love, Owen realizes that pieces of Charlotte's statement still belong to Cameron, and suggests they move back to her home town so that she can put her subsequent to throw down her.

My in part of this story is the authenticity of the characters. Charlotte moves in the midst of indignation and misery at the same time as coping with the fallout of Cameron's infidelity:

"Get your produce off me or I will spear you in the thigh with this wing," I muted."

"

"Cameron was like a extract, and dispel while my statement was not working into a million pieces, those flashing rubble were still striking to him."

Owen is a Supreme darling. He has a statement of gold, and their romance is cozy and cute:

"

"To the same extent is it?" I asked.

"This is the GIRLS' storeroom room," Owen invented.

"Uh-huh," I replied, not frank understanding.

He shook his inconsequentiality slightly and gave me a boyish grin. "Horrific. It's just a teenage be miles away of coal mine to be in happening."

"Ah, and I'm certain in the be miles away grant were masses of bare girls."

"Appropriately one," he invented huskily. "

Yet grant are seeds of foreboding that leak in:


"I love you," I muted.

"Gently you above," he replied.

Owen smoothly replied to my declarations of love that way, and it made me amazement if it was true. Did he love me above than I loved him?

"

Bestow Charlotte combine Owen? Bestow Cameron brute his way back into her statement, whilst she gains a better understanding of why he acted the way he did? Stop at tuned. I was pleasantly stunned by the twists at the end, cursory me with a full feeling. Hannah Downing has on paper a story that flows well and is an chief read. Fit recommended!

And now onto the interview!

JENNIFER Road (JL): Acknowledgment to the blog, Hannah, and happy summer! Occupy tell us about your home in Australia.

HANNAH DOWNING (HD): Recall for having me, Jen. I live in the borough of Cairns which is in the north-east of Australia in the set down of Queensland. We are home to the Fantastic Bolt Reef and many tropical islands as well as some of the record beautiful rainforests in the world. Cairns' description is - "Everyplace the rainforest meets the reef." It is at the end our summer and what a summer it is. This subsequent to week we cargo space had our up-to-the-minute on account for decades. This time of the appointment, we typical excitement in the mid 30s (80s in Fahrenheit) with about 80-95% moistness. I cargo space lived happening for on all sides of 10 living and love it, in spite of the sweatiness.

JL: I frank enjoyed "Pieces of Us", your first night original. You explored a range of emotions and portrayed forceful characters. To the same extent helps you with characterization?

HD: To the same extent matters to me record about my characters is that they are real. I would desire that people may perhaps dream of themselves acting or statute thump in a way that my characters do. Between my treatise all the more, I try to publicize what a pennant conversation would admirably like. Sometimes I cargo space to make undetectably deviations from real conversation as we don't forever speak in grammatically regulate ways, but on the fulfill I just try to image them as real people. I dream of what I would do in a situation or ask a friend how they would react if qualities invented that to them. Out of the ordinary line of reasoning that has helped me to fire up real characters is that they are real to me. I say to their personalities and how they react in situations. I say to what Charlotte will say at the same time as Owen says whatever thing, or how Cameron would react to whatever thing Charlotte does. I say to them. I wouldn't say they are real people to me, while they live inside my inconsequentiality, but at the same time as I publicize them, they feel real.

JL: I was wondering if your job as a social plod potential cargo space contributed to your constant characterization. Would you show us on the training and route of an Australian social worker? (I uncertainty it's numerous than in the US).

HD: I think every part of my personality has helped me to fire up my characters. I put a lot of for myself into "Pieces of Us" and my social plod training is a big part of me, so I would cargo space to prearranged that it has had some study on how I secure people, be relevant to people and in turn, publicize about people. I attractive to be a counsellor from a young age. Individuals cargo space forever felt sociable talking to me and confiding in me and it just felt natural for me to bombard it as a career. I out of the frame a 4 appointment, Bachelor of Unreserved Chap at assistant professor which authority me as a social plod. I deem that in the USA, you cargo space to consider a Masters degree to work as a authority social plod, but that is not the shield in Australia. My new job is that of "Emotional Physical condition Administer". I perform one-on-one counselling to adults who live with mental illness and what's more improve support groups. I what's more cargo space a very active role in mental health exposure and dirty finish in the community. I don't publicize about mental illness in my first night original, or the new broadsheet I'm feat on, but my work has limitation me a incredible foundation in the works of human nature which I think helps me to fire up forceful characters.

JL: You are regulate that you need a master's degree to be a licensed social plod in the U.S. You're at a crossroads, deciding whether to bombard social work or writing above convincingly. How's your thoughts coming along?

HD: *sigh* It moves and next it stalls again. I'm so torn! My elegant is to be a cause and I am enjoyable to work as hard as I need to, to get that goal but dispel with all the hard work in the world, not a person makes it to be a success. It's a menace to put all my hopes on becoming a successful author. At the identical time, I cargo space exposed an be revealed to advance my social work career into a attractive and flattering, new choice and I would love to bombard it. I cargo space been obtainable a place in the Masters of Mixed Decision Evolution which would train me to work in immature nations (whatever thing I would love to do). But, someone who has concluded post-graduate study will prearranged with me that it is A LOT of work and to get the high roadway that I would desire for, I would cargo space to yield a lot of my time and verve to study, cursory close to no time for writing. So, I may perhaps give up on the writing and opinion the safe predicament - study a Masters, get an astounding job and live alien while I work (a all-encompassing excellent, but not my elegant), or I may perhaps opinion the menace and publicize. My horoscope is Libra (the scales) and I cargo space forever weighed all my options very strictly which I think is why I cargo space been so conflicted in this thoughts. My scales are boringly tipped towards writing at the subsequent and that is what I am feat for right now. I cargo space just out of the frame the 50,000 word writing challenge for NaNoWriMo with on all sides of 70,000 words and cargo space on all sides of whole the first plan of my upcoming original. I think I'm separation to appreciate my elegant, process tattle to the wind and opinion a split. I want to be an author!

JL: One of my in characters in "Pieces of Us" is Owen. He's affluent and paying attention, but he what's more has a string. Any roughly accepted wisdom for his character, or for Charlotte or Cameron?

HD: I'm so glad you loved Owen. I love him too. I am a soft touch for love triangles and cargo space read a lot of stories based on this idea. I determine for myself getting wound up with the love-triangles I was reading while, while grant was forever one pointed sensation and one not-quite-as-good guy. I attractive to read a love triangle everyplace both guys deserved to win, and everyplace grant was no pointed "better preference". I was what's more strange about the idea of redemption and whether you may perhaps completely have a fit a loving relationship and next build it back again - was that dispel possible? Could I get the readers to forgive qualities who had upset the heroine and flashing her trust? I attractive to play ring-shaped with all of these ideas and so "Pieces of Us" was born. I never set out to publicize a original. I had been dabbling with sack story writing for a while and loved the feeling of creating a story but never frank considered it as a career. Charlotte, Cameron and Owen appeared in my instigator one day and I couldn't stop thinking about them. I take upon yourself it started from a thing trace I had about my ex-boyfriend. My first love and I had flashing up a few living former I started writing "Pieces of Us" and I wondered what I would do or say if I happened to clutch into him. I had moved on with my life and didn't want to descend, but if he came to me and asked me to get back together, what would I do? I deem that whilst you essentially love qualities, a part of that love stays with you everlastingly and I wondered if the love I still alleged for my ex would be rekindled if he came back into my life, or, if I wouldn't feel anything in arrears many living departure. So, my mind started creating all the scenarios that may perhaps make available and Cameron and Charlotte were produced. But, I didn't want to make thump too easy for Cameron and I attractive to play with my idea of an full love triangle so I brought Owen into the mix. It was frank fun writing Owen while I may perhaps make him the record astounding, loving and perfect man. Both all-encompassing attribute I gave to Owen made Cameron's job just that close bit harder and that was the point. I think I produced two men who both loved Charlotte very ominously and who were both venerable of her. None of the characters in my book are based on any one person but I did opinion traits that I had seen in people and worked them to either work for my characters or against them as I obligatory.

JL: What's upcoming for you with your writing?

HD: I'm so on fire about what I'm writing at the subsequent. Encircling a month in arrears "Pieces of Us" was boundless for association, I was current on my bed, CPU buzzing, chatting with a friend on Twitter. She asked if I was separation to publicize various book and I invented I would if I had a new idea and next, just like some replica elegant, the fulfill act together, characters, titles, be miles away lore, episode names and every filament obligatory to begin writing a book circular was just in my inconsequentiality. I can't put into words what a strange sensation it was. One second I had no writing strategy and next the upcoming second I had four lucky developed novels in my instigator just waiting to be on paper as if qualities had turned on a light renovate that couldn't be turned off. I put my CPU statement and grabbed a workstation. I illegible down as ominously as I may perhaps think of, toting up diagrams, timelines, maps and anything also that I didn't want to forget. I had never on paper YA former and had never dabbled in be miles away but these characters were so lucky fashioned that it was as if they prior to existed and just obligatory me to tell their story. I scarcely told the act together of the fulfill circular to my friend and she begged me to publicize it while she attractive to read it so disobediently. So, I am now on all sides of whole the first plan of book one in the circular. I cargo space fallen frantically in love with these characters and the world they live in. Usher One is delicately courtier "The Era Strider", and will be the first in a four book circular about witches who cargo space numerous powers. Specific witches can association downstairs time; others can read minds, intent auras or cast spells. It's so fun to play in a world of be miles away and not cargo space to rent by the laws of the real world. Grant is a love triangle, but not as brutally developed as in "Pieces of Us". The love triangle isn't the principal narrow down of this story but it plays a role in the lives of the characters. Once again, I love both of my male leads and I cargo space to keep reminding for myself which guy the principal character, Holly, is separation to end up with while I keep defective to give the a good deal guy a split. On one occasion I cargo space whole the plan and cargo space cleaned it up a bit (it's still very raw), I will letters some teasers on my website.

JL: Thank you for the all-encompassing interview, Hannah. It's great getting to say to you better by reading your original and your interview answers.

It's Thursday, time for Omnific Publishing's Essayist Blog Bounce! Read between the lines orders Trendy.


This entry was posted on Wednesday 11 November 2009 and is filed under ,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply