Asshole Or Prickyou Decide

Asshole Or Prickyou Decide
My husband and I were hanging out with friends the far away day to the same degree, one way or another, the question arose as to the courteous adaptation, from French into English, of the word "con". My husband is French and I grew up speaking French in Haiti; but I came to the States as a young youngster, so conversations like this one are not numerous in our retain.

"How do you say, 'an activity in French?" I held. "As in, 'to have an activity.'"

"Une affaire"," he held.

"No, I don't think so," I held.

"Yes, that's how you would say it," he insisted.

"Um, I don't think so."

In due course we obsolete up craft a Frenchie with better clarification skills to decide. In fact, an activity translates to "une aventure". The French think having an activity is like going on an adventure! But, I'm wanderingback to the persuade with our friends about the word "con". My husband swiftly started descriptive on the nose of the word and its creature usage--the pathetic word, "cu t," habitually used to phone call a woman you existent, existent hate--but I had to stop him for instance no French person uses it in that way anymore.

"They use it to refer to ego they think is an asshole," I held.

A Francophile in the group held, "No, I think it's director like a hurt."

"I string," I held. "A hurt is ego with a mean, disrespectful highlight, in the function of an asshole is director of a jerk."

In spite of that, a jerk isn't an asshole, either. In the dictionary, a jerk is defined as a stupid or petty person. But you can't look up asshole or hurt in the dictionary, so this led to a slightly lengthy and habitually funny conference, with one and all throwing in their locate on the difference in the company of an asshole and a hurt. As my editor in imitation of held to me, "Contrary to what Mr. Roget says, each word has its own raison d'^etre! "

The funny being about language is that meanings habitually change depending on the era, common type, one's sophistication or age, and a swarm of far away considerations. The same as I use the word "jerk," I don't think of ego stupid and insignificant--somewhat stupid, yes; but with a condemnation of on purpose flaming and plan in an invasion way. You congregate, like an asshole. And to my mind, a hurt is a malicious guy who rubs his hands with exultation and snickers in the function of contemplating the repenting chance of his fellow human beings. That titled sonofa Oops! I'm getting carried unconscious.

So, in the occupational of distilling the polysemous "asshole" or "hurt" description, I've come up with an exercise that ought to help. Something like are a few descriptions of people and box followed by my own (plainly) accusing judgment on the kind they belong to. Impress free to string.

1. A guy pursues you until you position to go out to eat with him. You have a great time together, I don't know smooch a stumpy, and he says he'll call you, but he never does.

Verdict: asshole

2. You're going out with a guy who makes a lot director notes than you, but he expects you to go Dutch whenever you go out to eat or go unconscious on vacations together.

Verdict: hurt

3. The men who run Big Banks, Big Pharma, Big Hide and Big Oil-enough held.

Verdict: pricks

4. The parking violations person who waits by your car until the meter expires, furthermore writes you a hold spellbound totally time he sees you straight-talking on the road to him in the function of waving frantically.

Verdict: asshole

5. Account Maher,* to the same degree he goes on a rant about government-funded arts programs. (Didn't a person ever tell him that art = phone, in the course of far away things?)

Verdict: asshole

6. Account Maher, to the same degree he treats members of his send away like they're idiots for not smiling at one of his jokes, or for commendation at whatever thing he disagrees with.

Verdict: hurt

*I in actual fact like Account Maher. "Dense Days with Account Maher" is the only show I ever watch or locate the time to adhesive tape. But hey, got to call a move a move.

7. Gordon Gekko from the print, "Face Inside lane".

Verdict: hurt

8. Mel Gibson in real life.

Verdict: asshole

9. Barack Obama rails against Face Inside lane fashionable the 2008 run, furthermore, totally following its Big Boys help array the biggest financial meltdown the same as The Large Murk, in 2012 he opens his pockets wide to dreadful their altered gifts.**

Verdict: asshole

**I congregate he can't win without Big Ability. Still, Mr. Be foremost, a pact with the evil spirit is a pact with the evil spirit. (This is why we all need to give 2.00/month to Fix Our America.org, a dynamic non-partisan cartel right to spoils notes out of politics.)

10. Hand Romney victoriously designs an lucrative and popular for all healthcare system, which covers 98% of Massachusetts land.
Subsequently, in an toil to kiss ass, he not only disavows his curriculum but is now stringently against for all healthcare and swears to annul Obamacare.

Verdict: asshole "and" hurt

Last rational statistics are from 2010.

Aspect how acquaint with are no women included in my scenarios? That's for instance no one ever refers to women as assholes or pricks. Being if they did, I possibly will think of a few! I'm certain ego out acquaint with believes I've behaved like an asshole at some point in time. Haven't we all, totally if unintentionally? But I'm certain I've never been a hurt. At lowest I confidence not! And what of the ending judgment on "con"? The presume I came to is that it can properly be used to explicate both--asshole "and" hurt. I like that in a word. So, if all in addition fails and you cannot show of hands, just call 'em a "con". And if it's a woman, they have the extensive word for her too: "conne"!


This entry was posted on Monday 13 January 2014 and is filed under ,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply