Handm Gets It Wrong Again

Handm Gets It Wrong Again
Yesterday evening Robert and I went and saw the new Bill Murray film, 'Broken Flowers'. Robert loved it, me, and it pains me to say this, less so. I don't know what I was expecting; I suppose something wonderful after 'The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou' which has to be my favourite film this year.

Broken Flowers had an excellent cast and the acting was superb, but I'm afraid to say, the film dragged. I don't mind slow, quiet films, but this one was a bit too slow and quiet for me. Also, with that excellent cast I just somehow wanted more, but felt the film never quite cracked the surface and reached a gratifying depth. The ending, which would have been fine had it followed a faster paced movie, left me feeling unsatisfied. It made me think, "For this, I waited?!"

The whole experience wasn't helped by the fact that I was sitting next to an incessant nose picker. This man could not leave his proboscis alone; if he wasn't actually rooting around in it, he was rubbing it vigorously. Half way through the film I found myself practically sitting on Robert's lap to avoid the risk of even having his arm touch me. OK, so I have a bit of an obsessive compulsive thing going with germs, but the nose pickers of this world push me right over the edge. Yeeuugh. The thought of him taking his girlfriends hand in his after the film made me feel physically ill.

This is another reason why the first thing I do when I get off the tube and arrive at my destination, is wash my hands. The nose pickers in London are everywhere, and some of them are simply shameless. One day I was admiring a particularly nice looking man on the way to work, until he put his finger into his nose that is, and quite calmly had a fiddle as though he were doing something as mundane as reading the paper. Yuk! And then this same person will get up and grab onto the hand rail as he makes his way out of the tube. Yes, it's a horrible thought. The solution: Hand washing, and failing an available bathroom, a constant supply of wet wipes, and if at all possible, antibacterial ones.

But before I forget, I think that movie houses at the moment should issue a warning which reads: "Danger: Absurdly long nausea inducing H">Baz Luhrmann rip-off Romeo and Juliet theme, terrible acting (sorry, what acting?), and an over the top dramatic soul track that just wouldn't end. It was so bad that people in the audience, including nose picking man, were threatening to trash the cinema in protest.

OK, so we know we have to watch commercials ahead of movies - it's a necessary evil. But this monstrosity? They're pushing their luck. I warn you - it's out there, and it's nasty. To avoid it, I'd suggest going in as close to the start of the film as possible.

This train wreck of an ad campaign, while in theory an OK idea if it weren't for everything that's wrong with it, is going to cause complaints. I honestly mean it when I say that everyone in our cinema was getting cross at having to sit through something so long and badly made. I suppose it's kind of karma after they got rid of the lovely Kate Moss. And if you think I'm being harsh, check this out.

Source: japan-pickup-scene.blogspot.com

This entry was posted on Tuesday 29 May 2012 and is filed under ,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply